What You’ll Need
A pre-heated oven (350 F)
2 C dry macaroni
1/2 C butter
2 Tbsp flour
1 ½ C milk
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 ½ C white American cheese
8 x 8 baker’s dish (prepared with cooking spray)
What To Do
- Oven to 350 F, in case you sped read past the first line.
- Cook macaroni as directed.
- In a separate saucepan, melt down butter and then add in the flour. Stir until the flour is totally combined.
- Add milk to butter mixture slowly, stirring constantly.
- On medium high heat, continue stirring until liquid starts bubbling and becomes a white cream sauce. Should take about 5 minutes.
- Add salt & pepper. (I don’t measure. The only way I live dangerously.)
- Placed strained macaroni in baking dish. Pour sauce over the macaroni and use a spoon to distribute it evenly.
- Shred white American cheese block for 1 ½ C of shredded cheese. Sprinkle shredded cheese over macaroni.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until bubbling and delicious looking.
- My mother covers her dish with tin foil for the first 25 minutes, and removes the tin for the last 5 minutes of baking. She is a much more conscientious than I. It’s worth mentioning because it browns the mac & cheese nicely at the end.